Core Medical Training (CMT)
Core Medical Training in Aster is a unique new partnership in GCC between the three UK Colleges of Physicians (London, Edinburgh and Glasgow) and Aster and Medcare hospitals in Dubai. Physician training of young graduate doctors will be delivered to the same standard as in the UK, undertaking the same curriculum and assessments.
Aster DM Healthcare with JRCPTB (Joint Royal College of Physician Training Board, UK) will deliver this training for the first time Dubai. There is undoubtedly a need for physicians with the ability to investigate, treat and diagnose patients with acute and chronic medical symptoms, with the provision of high quality review skills for inpatients and outpatients fulfilling the requirement of specialist-led continuity of care. This curriculum will provide physicians with these skill, while developing and assessing wider generic professional skills and attitudes.
In Aster the CMT programme is for 2 years as trainees enter the programme with DHA leave.
Core Medical Training is the first stage of specialty training for doctors in medical specialties i.e. those specialties managed by the JRCPTB (UK).
Training Pathway: (What’s in it for you?)
- The training programme is for two years and will usually consist of six placements in medical specialties.
- These placements encompasses direct involvement in the acute medical emergencies as well as care of patients with chronic diseases.
- The trainees should complete the full CMT programme including workplace based assessments and their MRCP (UK) examinations during this period.
- Candidates completing this core training will have a solid platform from which they can apply and compete into Higher Specialty Training in U.K.
- Trainees will be registered (enroll) for training with the JRCPTB at the start of their CMT programme.
- By the end of this programme, candidates who have successfully completed core medical training (ARCP outcome 6) including all parts of MRCP UK will be fully eligible to apply for Higher Specialty Training in UK.
- Candidates with MRCP UK are currently exempt from the GMC PLAB examination, but will still need to meet UK immigration and GMC language test requirements.
Features of the CMT programmes are
- Trainee led – The e-Portfolio is designed to encourage the trainee centered approach with support of educational supervisors. The e-Portfolio contains tools to identify educational needs, enables the setting of learning goals, reflective learning and personal development.
- Supervision: Each trainee has a series of people with clearly defined roles and responsibilities overseeing their training which includes supervisors and CMT programme director.
- Competency based: Trainees must achieve and demonstrate certain competencies by the end of the programme.
- Appraisal meetings with supervisors- Regular appraisal meetings and review of competence progression are set out in the e-Portfolio.
- Workplace based Assessments: – Regular workplace based assessments are conducted throughout training with an ARCP (Annual Review of Competence Progression). Students undergo ARCP at three points during the programme.
- Externality and quality management is provided by JRCPTB. The ARCP process has UK expert external involvement, the overall program should be fully accredited by 2019/2020.
Eligibility for the CMT Programme
- Candidates must hold a basic medical degree from one of the WHO recognized colleges ( List available at WHO website)
- Candidates must be having a valid DHA License to practice in Dubai.
- Preference give to candidates who have already completed any parts of MRCP UK.
- They will be selected based on a predefined criteria.
- Applications can be obtained from our website – Aster DM Healthcare
- Applications open on 1st May 2017 and filled applications must be submitted on or before 14th July 2017.
- Interviews will be held on 20th July 2017.
- Final results will declared by 23rd July 2017.
- Date of joining 31st July 2017.
- Course commences on 1st September 2017.
Steps to apply
- Download the application form.
- Fill the application form.
- Mail the filled application form with all required documents to: Mailing address: Ms. Abbey Kuriakose, Floor 33, Aspect Tower D, P.O Box Number 8703, Business Bay, and Dubai.
- Simultaneously send the application form to – [email protected]
- Also attach/send:
- Your updated C.V.
- Valid DHA license copy/ DHA eligibility letter.
- MRCP Part 1 or Part 2 results (if applicable)*.
* Kindly bring all the originals at the time of interview.
- Course commences on 1st September 2017.