Dr. Azad Moopen MBBS, MD, DTCD
Chairman & Managing Director – Aster DM Healthcare
Dr. Azad Moopen is a Physician-turned Entrepreneur and Philanthropist. He passed his MBBS with Gold Medal distinction, having completed his MD at the Government Medical College, Calicut and his DTCD at Delhi University, India. In 1987, he relocated to Dubai, where the story of Aster DM Healthcare began.
In the last 3 decades, Dr. Moopen has built the largest network of healthcare facilities with of over 316 establishments consisting of Hospitals, Clinics & Pharmacies in the Middle East, India and Philippines. Starting from a single doctor practice in Dubai, he has taken Aster DM Healthcare a leading private Healthcare provider in the region. Dr. Moopen believes and strives towards building a branded healthcare institution that is synonymous with quality healthcare, affordable and accessible. The desire to extend this to all the strata of the society, prompted him to develop the three brands “Aster”, “Medcare” and “Access”, within the umbrella organisation. Quality clinical outcomes and exceptional service standards are differing factors of the establishments under his leadership. Considering the critical nature of scarcity of getting medical professionals, he has established a Medical college and Academy to build the pipeline for Doctors and Paramedical professionals.
Aster DM Healthcare employs more than 19,358 people directly as of July 2017, across Middle East, India and Far East, including 2,138 doctors and 9,656 nurses and paramedics.
Dr. Moopen has earmarked 20% of his personal wealth for Philanthropic activities helping social changes, and uplifting the poor. Aster DM Foundation and Dr. Moopen’s Foundation, founded by Dr.Moopen, focuses on Philanthropy in Healthcare through various routes in GCC, India, Africa, Afghanistan and Philippines. Some of the ongoing Not-For-Profit activities of the Foundation are:
- Stand-alone Dialysis Centres in Kerala for the underprivileged
- Early Diseases and Cancer Screening Centres in India.
- Free Paediatric Cardiac Surgery Programmes at Aster MIMS & Aster Medcity.
- Free or Subsidized Treatments for the underprivileged people
- Doctor On Wheels – Mobile Clinics
- Village Adoptions and Local Empowerment Programme for Women & Children
- Health Education & Safety Awareness Campaigns – GCC & India
Awards & Recognitions :-
- Awards & Recognitions:-
- ‘Padma Shri’, the 4th highest civilian award by the Government of India, received from the President of India (in 2011), recognizing his social services.
- ‘Pravasi Bharatiya Samman’ by the Government of India, received from the President of India (in 2010), honouring his remarkable contributions to the Indian Diaspora.
- ‘Arab Health Award’ (in 2010), received from the Arab Health Forum, for his outstanding contributions to the Middle East healthcare industry.
- ‘Best Doctor Award’ (in 2009) by the Government of Kerala, India.
- Forbes Magazine – Listed Among the Top 10 Indian Leaders in the Arab World and Top 100 Billionaires of the World.
Dr.Moopen is the Director of ‘NORKA Roots’ (Non-Resident Keralite Affairs) and Director of KSIDC (Kerala State Industrial Development Corporation) under the Government of Kerala. He is also the Governing Council Member of KUHAS (Kerala University for Health and Allied Sciences) and Vice Chairman of SAFI (Social Advancement Foundation of India) and the Founder President of AKMG (All Kerala Medical Graduates Association, UAE).